Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thank You Walmart

 

So… what happened since the visit? Well… we secretly told some of our family and friends we were trying to have a baby and I got a good piece of advice from one of my childhood friends. She said go to the dollar store and buy as many pregnancy tests as I could. She said I would be so anxious that I would keep taking them and it would get expensive. Mike and I didn’t even know if San Francisco had a dollar store…. We had never seen one here…… but I looked online and found one. We went to the dollar store and bought 20 tests… this is true!! I probably went through 5 in the first month… and then slowly tapered down as I began to get discouraged (again… patience is not my strong point). I begin to do just what the doctor said… "live life, have fun.” Mike and I planned a trip to Florida to visit his family and then a cruise for our anniversary. Of course when I packed my bag for our trip, I threw in a few tests….you just never know!!

We were having such a great time with Mike’s family in Florida. This particular morning we had gone to the beach with his brothers. My mind was a little anxious because as of that morning… I was officially a day late. I remember Mike’s brothers wanting me to play volleyball and all I could think about was….  "am I pregnant? Is volleyball ok? Oh my gosh… am I pregnant? But I had a drink last night… am I ok? What will I tell everyone here since I can’t go out with them?” As I was sitting on the most beautiful beach, all I could think about was getting back to the house to take one of tests I had brought.

When I took the test…. It was the first time in my life that I questioned my eyesight… was I seeing two lines? I think so. But these tests were from the dollar store… were they right?

When something so life changing happens… it’s amazing what kind of emotions you experience… excitement… yet denial.  I was certain that it couldn’t have happened so quickly. It was now the last day of April… and I had always assumed it would probably take at least 6 months. Although I was sure that my eyesight was going out or that the dollar store was selling phony tests… we decided to play it safe and not go out that night… surely we would know for sure if nothing had happened by the next day. The second decision I made was to call my mom… surely she knew something I didn’t about this kind of stuff! Her response was as if this was almost common sense…. “Well just go to the store and get a different kind of test!” Why was all of this so difficult for me to soak in!?!

The next day came and sure enough…. Nothing. That morning we were leaving the family’s house and would be embarking on our cruise. We had decided that we would pick up a different test on our way. We stopped at Walmart and I picked out the most expensive digital test they sold….. Surely this would tell me the real answer. I looked at Mike and asked… “Should I go ahead and take it before we get on the boat or should I wait?” Again, this all seemed so surreal and this was the first time in my life I felt so out of control of my destiny. As we were both excited and nervous, we agreed I should go ahead and take it before I left the store.

Sure enough… the reading said… “Pregnant!” I stared at the reading all the way to the boat. When we boarded the boat and went to the safety debriefing, the speaker reminded the crowd to do things that would “make this trip memorable.” Mike and I both looked at each other and said…. “I think that’s already done……..” While this would be a much different trip than we originally expected…. There was no doubt it would be a memorable one.









No comments:

Post a Comment