Tuesday, February 7, 2012

And so the journey begins....

            Many of you may have read my previous blog, which was a humorous account of my travels for work and life on the road. Since our family and friends are so far away, writing seems to be a good way to keep in touch on a continuous basis and many of you are not on facebook. So what happened to me and where did my blog go?


            It was right after my last post that I got the call that my father had a heart attack and stroke. For weeks my mind was in a different place and I was certainly not in the mood for writing. My weeks consisted of flying to Chicago, San Francisco, and Houston in order to be with my family. When things finally settled down and I was able to write again, I wasn't quite sure how to start…..My life had been far from humorous and I struggled with what to say. I decided to take a break for a while.


            Along the same time, I began a local project that would better fit with my lifestyle (aka... allow me more time with my husband!). Of course “local” in consulting language means a 3 hour roundtrip drive, but at least I was home more! It was around this time… January 2011….that we decided that we wanted to have a baby. Of course I also couldn't write about that because I wasn't sure how long it would take! So... writing became even harder as time progressed!


            After 9 months of pregnancy and 5 weeks of baby… I have decided that it is time to write again! Not only to keep family and friends updated, but for our family as well… to be able to look back at this time and have captured all the little moments that you sometimes forget!


So….. .how did this journey begin?

            For those of you who know me well… you know I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to trying to plan something and I typically have very high expectations (my poor child!!). I am by far a person with type A personality and I can feel a bit anxious when there is something in life that I cannot control. By the way – I simply blame this on the fact that my mom drank way too much coffee while I was in her tummy!  Of course nothing is perfect when you are planning to have a child… because you never know what will happen, or not happen…..  and even once you are pregnant, you have no control over what labor will be like (I know all about that now by personal experience!!) So… you can imagine how difficult this past year was for me… trying to plan the most precious gift was something I simply could not control…. All I could do was leave what was meant to be in someone else’s hands (of course this was something I had to learn along the way). So… how did I learn?  


            The journey of this lesson started at my OB’s office. When Mike and I decided to have a baby, I set up an appointment for a “prenatal consultation.” My OB offered it as a way to help women conceive and prepare for a healthy pregnancy. I think I set up the appointment a few days after we had made the decision (talk about excitement). When I went into the appointment, this is how the conversation went...

OB: Ok….So tell me a little bit about what's going on. How long have you been trying to conceive?

Me: I just quit taking my birth control yesterday. (By the way - not only had I stopped taking it, I took a picture of the last pill for my scrapbook... not a joke….)

OB: (surprised)…. Oh, ok… not long. Well.... are you taking a prenatal vitamin?

Me: Oh yeah, I've been taking one for about a year now.

OB: (smile)… Well then there isn’t much that we can discuss here. You should be fine… come back in 5 months if nothing has happened.

Me: (surprised)… oh ok….. so that’s it? Should I stop having any drinks, etc.?

OB: (giggling)… No….that’s it. Just go about your normal life, have fun… you should be fine… come back in 5 months if you have not conceived.   
 

I’m sure as I left, the doctor was saying what I hear most of the older generation say… “these young people want something and they want it now… they don’t want to wait for anything!” She would have been right….. patience has never been a strong point of mine… but in this case… I would be forced to develop it! This was the start of the most life changing journey we will ever experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment