Thursday, February 16, 2012

Our first Valentine’s with “baby”

So… Mike and I are living the city life in San Francisco… which is far different than where I grew up. When you are in downtown, space does not exist and parking does not exist…. None of which is a big deal to anyone here because they are quite used to sharing space and taking public transportation to all their destinations. But... being from Texas and Florida, we miss the quiet, space, garages, fences, and parking!!! So for Valentine ’s Day, Mike and I decided to forego buying big presents and plan a weekend getaway to Napa Valley… which Is like going from Houston to the hill country for the weekend. This was Maddie’s first trip out of town!

Napa Valley, CA
We had such a great time, it was really nice being able to be outside and enjoy the scenery without all the hustle and bustle of city life. It was also Maddie’s first time to have her feet dipped in the pool – she loved it! And by loved it I mean she didn’t make a sad face or cry! She opened her eyes really big like she was surprised. She is just now starting to smile at something and not just randomly. It was so cute to see and of course it makes me teary eyed every time…. I am going to be so embarrassing! 
Sleeping beauty with daddy in Napa

Maddie laughing at 6 weeks old



Maddie had four valentine’s outfits to wear courtesy of her grandparents, Aunt Dana, and us. So… we started off wearing them over the weekend and continued each day up until Valentine’s Day. On Valentine ’s Day Mike went to work as usual and I was at home with Maddie. We woke up to notes around the house asking to be his Valentine, etc . This is something Mike does frequently so it’s become kind of a game to try and figure out where the notes are. I have found one on the diaper table, in the wipe warmer (under the lid), mirror in the bathroom, on the radio where my cell phone charges, and many more. Sometimes being at home with the little one all day can be hard work, so this always helps to start my day of right!

Maddie's Valentine's swimsuit




Valentine's outfit from Nanny


Valentine Outfit from Aunt Dana



Valentine outfit from Aunt Dana

One of the hard things about living here is not having any family around that I would trust leaving Maddie with while she is this little. So what kind of Valentine’s dinner do you have with a 6 week old? As cheesy as it is, I decided that I would make our own little restaurant at home. I got out the good china, placemats, printed little menus, and candles.  Of course we were going to make Mike’s favorite (and mine too) cupcakes, Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting! So… Maddie and I made a trip to the store and got all the stuff for the cupcakes, of course some small fun presents for Mike, and put on a roast for dinner. Maddie was up all day and definitely wanted to be part of the action…. I wasn’t sure I would get all of it done – but I did, successfully! It’s moments like that when I go… whew… I can do this whole mom/wife thing!!! J.

Dinner was wonderful. Maddie actually went to sleep right about that time for a nap and we got to enjoy some quiet time while we sipped on a bottle of wine we had bought in Napa – an O’Brien Estates 2010 Chardonnay called “Attraction.”….. Perfect for Valentine’s Day! This winery has a wine for every stage in your life… Attraction, Love, Eternity, etc. While we were there getting the wine, I made a joke asking where the one for labor was… shouldn’t a women who goes through that deserve to get a wine bottle named after it?? The man joked back and said… kids are not romantic at all… there is nothing romantic about kids.  The thing is…. I somewhat disagree with him…. Staring at a precious baby that you created with someone you love so much seems as romantic as it can get to me! J.






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more about kids being romantic, Tosh!! I feel the same way as you!! I'm STILL in awe that Brandon and I created these two perfect little beings and mine are big now, talk back and pick their noses!! If the power of love can make us feel that way then I DEF say it's romantic! That guy can suck it!! :) Maddie's too precious with her 986 V Day outfits and you are for real super mom with your fancy china and custom menus! My family got spaghetti on paper plates!!

    P.S. Love the blog!! Wish I had kept up with mine!! :(

    P.P.S. That's my comment deleted above! Had to repost under the right profile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen! Jen - The guy said it in front of a whole group of people while we were sitting there holding her... what an ass!! Hey - you have two.... I only have one for now... just wait until I have two and they may not even get a cooked meal at all!! lol. It's really really hard to keep up with the blog. I honestly should really be sleeping instead! We'll see how long I can keep it up!

    ReplyDelete